Tuesday 10 November 2009

Preliminary Task Evaluation

I do feel that my piece of film overall does demonstrate continuity well, for example there is a wide shot of a character picking up a drink, then it goes to a close up of this action and the drink is in the same place in the close up as it was in the wide shot. This makes the film flow smoothly and makes it a better quality finish. However there is a point in the film where you hear a door close, then a few seconds later when we have switched to a different cameras footage you hear the door close again. This does not show good continuity because the door slamming is from the character walking in to the bar which she obviously only does once, therefore you should only hear the door shut once during the film.

We have used a wide range of shots including: wide shot, close up, extreme close up and long shot. We also used a range of shots to add continuity to our film, for example we used shot reverse shot during the conversation part of the film to show which character was speaking and what they was saying. We also used the 180-degree rule, using three different cameras to get footage from a range of shots; the 180-degree rule is helpful because it helps the audience to understand where the characters are in the scene. We used match on action in our editing this was helpful because if one part of a scene was not as good as the rest we would cut it and add another clip instead.

I feel that overall we worked well as a group and we got all the shooting and editing done to a good quality within the time limits. However I worked in a very large group, so I feel that some people did more work than others. So next time I do a project like this I think it will be better to work in a smaller group.

If I was to film this piece again I would shoot it in a different location so that the film looked more real, I would also make sure that we had the best possible footage before we started editing the piece. I would also make sure that the camera is always steady when it needs to be and there are no wobbly bits of footage in the film.

If I was to do the film again I would defiantly plan the film before we did it, because we just got straight into filming it at first we was not really sure what we was doing, so we wasted time trying to work that out.

We did use transitions in are piece and I think we did this well, as we used a range and used them when they was suitable. The transitions in the film that we used gave it an overall better finish and helped with the continuity of the video.

I have learnt a lot from the editing software after doing this piece, as none of us had used the software before we all learned from scratch how to use it, so it took us some time to get used to the programme. However once we were able to use the programme we edited the film well. I learnt how to cut pieces of footage, add transitions and effects to the video. I also learnt how to add extra- digetic sound to the film and how to fade it in and out which really added to are finished piece.

From the technologies we used I learnt how to use the editing programme, I also used the video recording equipment which I had never used before, but it was easy to use so I found filming the piece was easy then I thought it would be. I also discovered that filming and editing a piece like this takes a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment